22 Feb Interesting Facts About Dark Chocolates
Before I talk about the health benefits or some of the interesting facts about dark chocolates, let me tell you one thing. Dark chocolates have sugar and a lot of calories in them! So be careful when you munch too much of them thinking only about the benefits.
Chocolates are made from the seed of cocoa tree. The cocoa seed are dried and cleaned and roasted. The shells are then removed. The nibs are then ground. You get chocolate powder, cocoa butter, chocolate liquor from this in various steps of making.
Though chocolates are considered as a super food, one needs to be very careful when having it in excess quantity. But, a little chocolate everyday does not hurt.
Nutritional Value of Dark Chocolates
Dark chocolates are really very rich in iron, fibre, copper, manganese and magnesium along with other minerals. It has a lot of zinc, potassium, selenium and phosphorus. It also contains caffeine, but its quantity is very small. The fatty acid profile of cocoa is also impressive. However, 100 grams of dark chocolate contains approximately 600 calories.
Health benefits of dark chocolates
When I talk about dark chocolates, i mean the ones that are not processed or sweetened. However, it is one food that is full of antioxidants. So, when you buy dark chocolates, double check the contents to ensure that they are not sweetened and they are high in cocoa content. If it is so, then the chocolate is really nutritious.
- It helps improve blood flow and lower blood pressure. However, only very small decrease was seen in the researches done regarding this.
- Dark chocolate can help improve the risk factors for heart disease. It helps reduce the bad cholesterol in your body.
- Dark chocolates may improve the brain functions as well.
- Helps in curing anemia and also helps improve eyesight.
- It is an energy booster.
- One fact that makes dark chocolate special is that, it is a cancer fighting food.
Some really Interesting facts about dark chocolates
- It helps reduce appetite! So, here is good news for those watching their weight. The result of some of the recent research done on this clearly says that the smell of dark chocolate reduces appetite. Now this is going to keep your cravings at bay. In short, it promotes weight loss.
- It has anti-diabetic effects. No, I am not joking! Yes, even the diabetic people who crave for a piece of chocolate can eat dark chocolates. Of course the unsweetened ones. The reason – dark chocolates helps to improve glucose balance and insulin sensitivity. So, having them at least once a week is surely going to have some good effects on your body. Now, don’t be disheartened that you can have it just once a week. Something is always better than nothing!
- It fights ageing. Little did I know that! Yes, but this is the truth. Dark chocolates comes with those special compounds of antioxidants the help fight the cells that cause damage to skin, hair ageing and its symptoms like wrinkles etc. It helps to keep your skin healthy and glowing. Another benefit is that it can also fight sun burns. It is an excellent skin-detoxifier and keeps your skin glowing, making you look young.
- Dark chocolates also benefits your hair by boosting its volume and reducing hair fall. As it had some anti-inflammatory properties, it helps treat scalp infections too.
- It is a mood booster and helps prevent depression. The reason for this is that, the components in dark chocolate help produce endorphins produced by the brain cells. These help to calm down your mood and help you relax.
Those were some interesting facts about dark chocolates. Now, when you eat dark chocolates, enjoy every bit of it without feeling guilty, especially on a diet day!
Find some interesting recipes made with chocolates here.